Tuesday, July 8, 2008

maternity shopping -- long and frustrating


as i said in my last post, i pretty much grew overnight -- and had a big baby bump by saturday morning. this meant that i couldn't fit into any of my regular jeans (though i do have some fat jeans that still fit). and my tops are quickly being outgrown. this meant that, unless i wanted to walk around in my robe or my sweatpants every day, i had to bite the bullet and do some maternity shopping.

grandma maria said that kohl's had a maternity department -- that i had apparently missed somehow -- and gave me a discount card to use. this all sounded great to me, since i had no intention of spending tons of money on clothes that i'll only wear for a few months. so, today, off i went. i left nice and early in the morning (kohl's opens early) to get the shopping done, and figured that after that i could run some other errands. um... yeah. that didn't happen. since it took me TWO HOURS to find stuff to wear.

i bounced between their tiny maternity section -- which was compiled of motherhood maternity's brand -- and the rest of kohl's misses brands... since it's the year of babydoll's and empire waists, i figured i could get some faux-ternity tops at the same time. but not everything fit that i thought would fit... the jeans/short/capri's from maternity were all either slightly too big or slightly too small... and a lot of the maternity tops seemed to be designed to make pregnant women look fluffy and soft like cotton balls. not really the look i want to be going for.

i finally settled on a couple of pairs of jeans, walking shorts, and capris, all in medium (they only come in S, M, and L, which is annoying). then i bought a whole bunch of tops, some maternity and some faux-ternity. and finally a comfy, inexpensive faux-ternity dress rounded out the collection of goods.

i never thought clothes shopping could be more frustrating for a woman. guess i was wrong! alls well that ends well, i guess. now, in usual nicole fashion, i'll have to wear something new tomorrow. =)

image above from motherhood maternity.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I did really well at Target and Old Navy when I was pregnant-- it's not fun, but it is what it is! Good luck!

jodi said...

I would've opted for the sweatpants and bathrobe, but I'm glad you found some stuff in the end!

Anonymous said...

I hated it too. Never would fit. You need Maternity pants in one size now and in another size in a few months. They don't stretch all that much. LOL. So keep an eye on those things that were to big on you right now. LOL> plus, dont forget that it's not only the belly that grows, unfortunatly.

The other problem with Maternity clothes and buying to early, is that well....you only buy a few things that that is all you wear for a while. It seems like it's only a few months, but when that's all you have and you have to wear the same shirt again, you wanna kill yourself. So keep in mind that you might want to go back at some point for that reason as well.

I have some things that might fit you. I haven't gotten rid of my things. (even a bathing suit that I never wore). Just let me know if you wanna look through the stuff.

HUGS!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Check out Target and Old Navy maternity as was suggested they have some nice things and the price is normally right.

Nicole Block said...

thanks ladies. yeah, old navy and target are next on my list -- or, really, were first, but i had the coupon for kohls. LOL... i also love that ann taylor loft now has maternity clothes. yay!

inna, that's so sweet of you! i was secretly hoping that some of my mommy pals would offer their clothes (if they still had them and they'd fit me!). do you have anything for fall/winter wear? that's going to be my major issue -- and when i'll be majorly large. LOL... email me!

Erin McCall said...

Not that I know anything about pregnancy wear, but I've had several occasions in Target where I've ended up in the maternity section without knowing it, to find a lovely dress or cute skirt, only to realize later that it was maternity. One of my friend's has said so many times "I wish I was pregnant so I could wear this!".

Their stuff looks cool/modern - not fluffy/cute.

Show us what you buy!

Erin

Tiffany & John said...

Hi Nic I am so sorry that I got rid of all my mommy clothes. But please leat me know assoon as you find out what your having, ( are you going to?) All of Katelyns clothes you are welcome to if you want them. I have a few other things too a travel bed never used.. Let me know. have fun Love and miss you

Stephy404 said...

Nic - I only "know" you from the HOW forum, but I really enjoy reading your blogs - particularly this one. I dont have kids, but for some reason, I find pregnancy very fascinating. I was so happy to be part of my sister's pregnancy for her two little ones. Besides, your blog gives me some great advice to save for when I decide to have children. And BTW, John & Kate + 8 is a very addictive show. Thanks!