Monday, May 12, 2008

secret kept -- with a great deal of difficulty!

well, i'll say one thing for my side of the family -- they are good at making me practice my restraint.

mother's day weekend was nice, but really tough on me. first, i made sure to buy my preggie-pop drops on saturday before picking up my brother, so that i could keep the nausea at bay. but my head was bugging me and did not stop for the entire weekend. thankfully there was no red meat served on saturday, so i avoided that catastrophe. whew...

still, not everything was as easily surmounted. my family just seemed to be all about bringing up "when you have a baby" or "when the baby gets here." yeah... tough. yesterday, when my headache was reaching catastrophic proportions, my parents said, "well, you'll just have to get pregnant, so that the headaches go away." i just wanted to scream, "but it's the baby that's causing the headaches!!!" le sigh...

but probably the most touching moments, besides my wonderful dave giving me a mother's day card before he went to see barb over the weekend, was when my aunt maria gave me a gift for our new apt. she gave me a bag with candles in it, and there was a book with the candles in the bag. before i took it out, she explained to me that the book used to be mine, and my mom had lent it to her for her kids. she was giving it back to me so that i had it for our children someday. it was this book...

except i had the hardcover, original 1983 version.

what crazy timing!!! i had this book when i was six -- my mom used it to answer my questions about babies and sex. i remember it vividly, and flipping through it really brought back memories. it's especially amazing timing since the book is about birth and babies, and i'm in the early stages of pregnancy -- which is outlined in the book. i almost burst into tears, but managed to control myself.

so, aunt maria, thanks for the book. it meant more to me than i could let on. =D

No comments: